Marriage License FAQs

Pamela W. Eckhardt, Clerk

General Information
Phone Numbers
Fax: 208-785-4131
Emergencies: Dial 911
501 N Maple St

Monday - Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
No answers matched your search
Over 18

Both people need to appear at the courthouse in person.

Both parties need to be present to fill out Marriage License Affidavit.
$30 fee for marriage license.
Proof of identity is required (drivers license, state issued ID, Military ID)
Social Security Numbers are required

Two copies are issued -- one is for the couple, the other is sent in by the person performing the ceremony to be recorded.

Under 18

16 and 17-year-old applicants must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, or have a notarized statement signed by their parent or guardian. (Legal guardians will need to show a certified copy of their appointment of guardianship.)

Frequently Asked Questions
Who can perform the wedding ceremony?

A Mayor or person recognized by religion (Minister, Bishop, etc) (Idaho Code 32-303). You will need to contact these people early so you will be placed on their calendar.

Do I need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain a marriage license?

No, however, with an Idaho State license, you must get married in Idaho.

Is there a waiting period before using the license?

No, you may get married the same day.

Is an appointment necessary?

No, the office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except state holidays.

Do both parties need to be present at the same time?


Is a blood test required?

No, blood tests are not necessary. State law, Idaho Code 32-412A, requires both parties to read and sign a premarital AIDS educational pamphlet (available at the counter).

Can I use this Marriage License in another state?

No, a State of Idaho Marriage License is only valid in Idaho.

Are marriage ceremonies performed in the clerk's office?

No, you may contact a judge to make an appointment for the same day or for the future. You may make an appointment with the Magistrate Court Judges at 782-3121.

When we receive the Marriage License, are we married?

No, an authorized clergy member, judge, or other designated official, i.e., mayor or governor, must perform the ceremony.

When will the Marriage License expire?

There is no expiration date on the license. If not used within a year, both parties will have to sign a Recorder's affidavit.

Do you accept a charge/debit card?

Yes, a $3.00 service fee will be charged.